Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2008, 08:38 PM   #11
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
X1,000,000,000

Hell my GRAMMA even always said you never know a person until you live with them. Seriously... it's those little day to day habits and idiosyncracies that give you insight into a person (not to mention that with living together comes shared financial obligations -- VERY important!)
I saw stats somewhere (yes, I know numbers can say anything you want) that stated the divorce rate is higher for people who live together prior to marriage than those that don't. However, I can see how those numbers can easily be skewed based on the age ranges of the people in the stats. Most of our grandparents didn't live together prior to marriage because it was a sin. They also didn't get divorced because it was a sin. Our generation isn't worried at all about living together prior to marriage, nor are they shy to divorce. Therefore, the rate of divorce would be higher for those living together prior to marriage. I'd like to see true stats on this based on specific generations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
In most states, there are laws to protect you from situations like this. I used to have my Real Estate license in Texas... and the code here is such that you need to be given 30-days notice on any eviction. You are not required to have a lease, or even a signature on anything stating you live there. What you need, is to have so much as a toothbrush on site... person items... and to have not been hiding the fact that you were living there. In other words, if I put up a tent and camped on your front lawn for longer than seven days you would need to send me a 30-day notice of eviction if you wanted me to leave.

Why didn't you get ALL your stuff out of there when the cop was there?

I would have gotten it all out... then talk to the management. You might not be able to get out of the lease. That is if it is, in fact, in your name. You will have to have someone else take up the lease, probably him. They may or may not agree to it, and it's usually in their favor.
I believe Indiana the law is 7 days. I use to be an apartment manager and our leases said we could request the tenant to move out within 7 days based on certain circumstances. The lease held up in court many times. Had a situation where we took one guy to court who was late on rent. Got the lawyer to push for as early a date as possible to get this guy out of the apartment. Got the date set within a few days. The guy tried to use the 30 day argument. The judge told him to get out of the apartment immediately.

I do know there are some "professional renters" in some states who will move from apartment to apartment, paying as little rent as possible because of that 30 day rule, so I think it depends on the state as to how long they can stay. And you are correct, the leases are usually to the benefit of the landlord. Hell, it's even possible she could get in trouble if her name is the only one on the lease and other people are living in the place without the landlord's permission.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote