Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

In socal the heat is turned on a handful of times from Dec-March. The A/C is another story.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 11-20-2009 at 07:01 PM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
In socal the heat is turned on a handful of times from Dec-March. The A/C is another story.
Pretty much like here.
It was actually cool enough here earlier in the week to justify it, but I just toughed it out.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Just a big blanket and a dog constantly constantly laying on top of me keeps me warm. Other than that my apt is pretty new and insulated.

I have my therm set at 77. It only goes on at night though when it gets to be about 40 for the low. Its stays fairly warm from the sun during the day. I started turning the heat on last month because I am a wimp to the cold now. My gas bill was still only $17.

Now back East my mom barely turned the heat on. So flannel PJ's with socks, and a fleece on top, and 2 heavy down comforters and another light blanket on top. Felt like i was being buried alive.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

You guys are crazy. I want to be comfortable when I'm home, so the thermostat's set to 72 all year. I can't imagine being cold in my own home to save a few bucks a month.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
You guys are crazy. I want to be comfortable when I'm home, so the thermostat's set to 72 all year. I can't imagine being cold in my own home to save a few bucks a month.
BF's unemployment will run out next month, and I took a 50 % paycut in the last year. Last years gas bill at 65 degrees was $300 bucks for a well insulated, 500 ft duplex. So there is a good chance if I run the furnace that I won't even make enough to pay the bills. Hence the radiant heaters.

And please don't tell me to go get a better paying job, it just isn't happening in this economy.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck750 View Post
BF's unemployment will run out next month, and I took a 50 % paycut in the last year. Last years gas bill at 65 degrees was $300 bucks for a well insulated, 500 ft duplex. So there is a good chance if I run the furnace that I won't even make enough to pay the bills. Hence the radiant heaters.

And please don't tell me to go get a better paying job, it just isn't happening in this economy.
That seems pretty extreme, your gas company must be making a fortune. There's no reason it should cost $300/month to heat 500 sq. ft. unless you leave the doors and windows open.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
That seems pretty extreme, your gas company must be making a fortune. There's no reason it should cost $300/month to heat 500 sq. ft. unless you leave the doors and windows open.
Utilities suck here in KCK. My water and sewer bill is $55 a month. That's 2 baths a day, 4 loads of laundry and dishes every other day.

I think the gas was very high last year because the gas company buys it well in advance. So if they bought the gas at last summers prices, which is the highest it's ever been, it might explain the outrageous prices last winter.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #8
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
I agree. 60 is too damn low for me. I like 70.

I don't control the heat in my apartment though so if I get cold I put on a blanket or extra clothes.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
When I first bought my house about 7 years ago I kept the heat off for a long while. One day I was fully dressed (I don't do that much) and was under a blanket and I was still freezing. I flipped. I said "FUCK THIS!!!" and jumped up and turned on the heat. I said I didn't buy a house to freeze my ass off in it.

I turned the heat on early this year because I don't seem to deal as well with the cold as I used to. Plus with the kids I don't want them cold.

I do keep a blanket on my couch so I don't need it too hot until the really cold nights come.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:35 PM   #10
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Erik whines about the heat not being turned up high enough. I have it set at 64-65 and it would be less if he didn't complain. But I pay the bill, so he has to respect so of what I say.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote