Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Yes, because free speech only applies to speech you agree with and like. What a fucking idiot...
Depends on whether you consider any and all speech to be free. There's the classic "fire in a crowded theatre" exception, for example. Personally I like complete freedom of speech, because it allows me to spot the bigots and morons for what they are.

As Avatard said, in this case the students exercised their rights of free speech to shout down someone they disagreed with.

Quote:
Actually they were using their speech to deny a person their freedom of speech. They also use intimidation and threats. Which are not protected free speech. So they lose.
There were no threats and the only "intimidation" was some moron who pulled the fire alarm. That's just to set the record straight, since the way that this is playing in the media is starting to come off like a '60s anti-Nam campus riot. It was nothing of the sort. it was a peaceful, if somewhat loud, protest.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Depends on whether you consider any and all speech to be free. There's the classic "fire in a crowded theatre" exception, for example. Personally I like complete freedom of speech, because it allows me to spot the bigots and morons for what they are.

As Avatard said, in this case the students exercised their rights of free speech to shout down someone they disagreed with.

There were no threats and the only "intimidation" was some moron who pulled the fire alarm. That's just to set the record straight, since the way that this is playing in the media is starting to come off like a '60s anti-Nam campus riot. It was nothing of the sort. it was a peaceful, if somewhat loud, protest.
Basic protected free speech, like you said the fire example wouldn't be protected speech. People being bigots and morons is fine.

They weren't shouting anyone down. She wasn't even there apparently. They were preventing an event. Your freedom is not guaranteed when you infringe on the freedom of others.

Without being there, it's hard to say what the crowd was doing. I wouldn't say they were trying to burn the building down, but it does sound like there was some disorderly conduct going on. All I have to work with is the article and reports.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Basic protected free speech, like you said the fire example wouldn't be protected speech. People being bigots and morons is fine.

They weren't shouting anyone down. She wasn't even there apparently. They were preventing an event. Your freedom is not guaranteed when you infringe on the freedom of others.

Without being there, it's hard to say what the crowd was doing. I wouldn't say they were trying to burn the building down, but it does sound like there was some disorderly conduct going on. All I have to work with is the article and reports.
Actually from what I've been told by people on-site, rather than read in the media, most of those people were there to try and get into the event. About 1000 people showed up for what was supposed to be 400 spots (as stated in the article). Cancelling the event was a preemptive and cowardly move on the part of the university. There was no threat, unless it was one of hearing damage.

Regarding the person who pulled the fire alarm; our standards of academic conduct would, in all likelihood, have had such a person tossed off campus and forfeiting all fees paid if it was a student.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Actually from what I've been told by people on-site, rather than read in the media, most of those people were there to try and get into the event. About 1000 people showed up for what was supposed to be 400 spots (as stated in the article). Cancelling the event was a preemptive and cowardly move on the part of the university. There was no threat, unless it was one of hearing damage.

Regarding the person who pulled the fire alarm; our standards of academic conduct would, in all likelihood, have had such a person tossed off campus and forfeiting all fees paid if it was a student.
If you were there for the event, why disrupt it enough to get it canceled before it actually happens? Not a very bright move on their part.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:14 AM   #5
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Great job guys, now she can cry to media that will hear her butt-hurt ranting rather than just a few hundred people in a room.

The best way to silence her is to not give the attention she craves.
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Who cares what she says [Austin Powers Voice], she's a man, baby![/voice]

Old 03-24-2010, 09:50 AM   #7
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Just one question Trip, do you feel the same way when the Westboro Baptist Church protests funerals and are run off by people who think they're a bunch of idiots?

They're technically within their rights to protest, but nobody EVER complains about their freedom of speech rights being violated. Could it be because we don't agree with their message? And could it be that the people are well within their rights to protest the protesters?

And I lied, one more question.. What freedom of speech rights do we have on here? None, because it is your board and you are not the government so you are under no obligation to protect my freedom of speech. Much like a group of private individuals can try to silence anybody they wish ( These guys come to mind http://www.parentstv.org/).
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Just one question Trip, do you feel the same way when the Westboro Baptist Church protests funerals and are run off by people who think they're a bunch of idiots?

They're technically within their rights to protest, but nobody EVER complains about their freedom of speech rights being violated. Could it be because we don't agree with their message? And could it be that the people are well within their rights to protest the protesters?

And I lied, one more question.. What freedom of speech rights do we have on here? None, because it is your board and you are not the government so you are under no obligation to protect my freedom of speech. Much like a group of private individuals can try to silence anybody they wish ( These guys come to mind http://www.parentstv.org/).
The Westboro Baptists don't intimidate or do things like pull the fire alarm. They go to their legally allowed spot and do their protest. They don't try to deny anyone their freedom of speech either. The patriot guard gets there and is allowed to protest too. Not the same thing.

Here, just like the Coulter event, are private events. You don't have the same rights you do on the streets. They can remove you from the crowd at the coulter event if you misbehave in the audience, just like I can ban and edit people's posts here.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #9
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
The Westboro Baptists don't intimidate or do things like pull the fire alarm. They go to their legally allowed spot and do their protest. They don't try to deny anyone their freedom of speech either. The patriot guard gets there and is allowed to protest too. Not the same thing.

Here, just like the Coulter event, are private events. You don't have the same rights you do on the streets. They can remove you from the crowd at the coulter event if you misbehave in the audience, just like I can ban and edit people's posts here.

You didn't answer the question, you went off on a tangent. Do you feel bad for the WBC when people try to shut them up?
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
You didn't answer the question, you went off on a tangent. Do you feel bad for the WBC when people try to shut them up?
Yes I do, the WBC protests legally. They follow the rules and laws. Let them say their thing. The WBC doesn't scream and try to disrupt the funerals, they get their signs and protest. They don't try to pull fire alarms or call in bomb threats (just an example, not something these kids did) to get the funeral cancelled. If this group of protestors followed the rules and held a protest without being disruptive and removing Coulters freedom of speech, I would have no issue with this story.