Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 07-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
Am I the only one who thought about Maintenance not related to Bikes??
Yes, because you are a soulless ginger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Yes, because you are a soulless ginger.

Better than to be a cock raving douchebag i guess
Old 07-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

I haven't had to do too much, so I can do very basic maintenance on my own with a manual and some borrowed muscle if needed and lots and lots of time since it takes me a while to figure it out. Mostly just oil changes, clean/lube chain, basic mods likes lights, fenders etc. I'm sure as I have the SV longer, more will need to be done to it, such as suspension etc, but I am sure I can get friends to help. I just have a basic tool/socket set from walmart but will purchase tools as needed.

When I was going to put on my frame sliders, my friend offered to help. So he came over and he realized that I don't have the tools for it. He gave me the tools that he had and I couldn't loosen the bolts

I haven't needed to bring my bike yet into a shop.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
Cruzergirl
Its a good day.

Moto: Victory Kingpin Low

Don't do my own motorcycle maintenance. Never have. Don't plan on starting. I have never had an interest in it.

Looks like I'm in the minority here.
Cruzergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:52 PM   #5
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

I do small, routine maintenance. Oil changes, tire changes (provided I have the right tools.. which currently, I do not. ), I have swapped out rectifiers, soldered on a new connector (also related to the rectifier), swapped coolant, changed spark plugs... but never done a major overhaul on a bike. I need and want to learn so I can rebuild my Blast... I just hope I can put it back together being that I wasn't the one who took it apart.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:12 AM   #6
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
I do small, routine maintenance. Oil changes, tire changes (provided I have the right tools.. which currently, I do not. ), I have swapped out rectifiers, soldered on a new connector (also related to the rectifier), swapped coolant, changed spark plugs... but never done a major overhaul on a bike. I need and want to learn so I can rebuild my Blast... I just hope I can put it back together being that I wasn't the one who took it apart.
Are you kidding? Tracey can show you how, the guy built a Ducati from the ground up for you just a couple months ago! I doubt that there's anyone short of Gas Man or Eric more qualified to teach someone how to work on bikes. That's guy's a mechanical genius almost. I'm sure that you'll be fine! besides, even I could put a Blast back together, they are a very simple bike from what I've seen. Actually, that sounds like a perfect bike to learn on imho, I'm sure you and Tracey will have it back together in no time!!!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Are you kidding? Tracey can show you how, the guy built a Ducati from the ground up for you just a couple months ago! I doubt that there's anyone short of Gas Man or Eric more qualified to teach someone how to work on bikes. That's guy's a mechanical genius almost. I'm sure that you'll be fine! besides, even I could put a Blast back together, they are a very simple bike from what I've seen. Actually, that sounds like a perfect bike to learn on imho, I'm sure you and Tracey will have it back together in no time!!!
Thing has what? Five moving parts? Oughtta be easy.

I'm dying to jump into my own ground up vtwin build. Just as soon as I've got the cash for a new frame and tank
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

I can do the basics but frankly I do not enjoy it at all. I'd much prefer to just pay someone else to do it and just have it ready to ride when I want.

Tye can do much more than I can and has taught me a lot, I try to do some and just have him help me but he'd usually rather just do it for me than try to show me how.. he has about as much patience as I do..
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #9
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiergirl View Post
I can do the basics but frankly I do not enjoy it at all. I'd much prefer to just pay someone else to do it and just have it ready to ride when I want.

Tye can do much more than I can and has taught me a lot, I try to do some and just have him help me but he'd usually rather just do it for me than try to show me how.. he has about as much patience as I do..
Laziness wins again.

I had to pop the head off my vehicle's engine to replace the gasket. I didn't get done till 4am and it was cold enough to snow. That was finding the parts, pulling everything attached to the head, pulling the head, scraping all the gasket material off, cleaning the radiator out, flushing the engine, replacing the gasket, torquing the head, setting valve clearances, attaching everything back to the head, putting back on the cooling system, filling the coolant system with water so cold it made my Willy an inny, then flushing the coolant system several more times. Running the engine to make sure nothing is leaking. Letting it cool back down, running it again. Flush the coolant system of all garden hose water. Fill back up with 50/50. Running engine again to burp the system. Pick up the winters that feel off from the cold 2 hours ago. Go inside and pass out for 3 hours and then head to work. Done. I'm awesome. Hear me roar. This isn't even the most mechanical thing I've done. I'm so much better than you......cause I'm a man. Don't get mad. It's your nature to not want to do anything for yourself.

Any ways. I find it fun to work on stuff, but it sure can get frustrating to do sometimes. I rebuilt the front end on my 4x4 axle and it is such a time consuming and messy messy job. I'd rather rebuild another engine and not have to right tools than to do it again. My wheels are still on so that's good.

P.S. I'd love to work on your bike for you Skiergirl.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

If I could have my way id be like a professional racer, show up my people would already have my bike serviced, running and ready to go so I could just hop on and ride. When I'm done id ride up hand it to the pit crew and walk away until time to ride again

that's my dream for when I'm rich anyway haha. I really don't have the patience or inclination to do anything more than is required to keep it maintained and running so Rangerscott feel fre to come by anytime and work on it for me. I hate doing that shit.
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote