Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 04-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #31
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Great job Jared! I'm glad the infamous F4i is back on the road.

The best part of this entire re-build was that you did it at work (or at least that is what I understood).
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #32
thirdgenlxi
They call me a ride whore

Moto: 2004 CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Looks great!

I can't believe how good the internals looked from that 177k motor - you really are a freakin' machine, dude. I wonder how the internal parts of your 400k car look? I'm wagering they look about the same as the insides of your F4i. Freakin' awesome.

I was hoping you'd just replace the broken bits and leave the rest as-is

http://www.twowheelfix.com/showpost....23&postcount=9

I know when my car got totaled at 210,000 I wanted to keep everything I could (alas, I was broke and couldn't keep the car). I totally understand wanting to keep something as original as possible when it's served you so well.
Thanks!! I was kinda going back and forth at first about using the old internals, but then after I started digging into it my decision was made, lol. I too am glad I used the old internals... not exactly the same as it was, but at least I know I did everything I could (literally). The car I think the deepest I've ever been in the engine other than doing a timing belt, was an oil pan gasket back in 2004. Couldn't see any of the bearings or anything, but I can say that everything I could see was every bit as clean as the bike engine was. But yea it's hard to let go of something that's treated you sooooo well. This bike has taken me all over the country, and never once even given so much as a hiccup... ever. It just keeps going and going and going, lol. Something new I would have to build that kind of trust all over again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Dang man. You did all that hard work just to get bug juice on your new bike. I thought you were a clean guy.

Congrats man. I know the feeling about keeping something you love alive. Feels good. Got a couple questions if you dont mind answering.

1. Does it have a salvage title now and does your insurance company insure salvage? I've always looked at salvage deals but never really got to the point of cash in my hands.

2. What oil have you been running for the most miles on your bike? I see that you're using a puralator 1 filter. I do to. Wish I could fit a big one on my engine like you can on yours. I have rad hoses in front of mine so I have to use the 3.5" height ones.
Unfortunately yes, it now does have a salvage title. Not really gonna affect me cuz I don't plan on selling it, I was just proud of my clean and clear title, lol. But there was no way around that really. My state and insurance co don't really care too much about salvage titles, so it hasn't really changed anything. I still have the same full coverage that I've always had on it

As for oil.... well when the bike was brand new I broke it in using the regular Honda dino oil that came with it (changed several times, of course). Then at 5,000 miles I switched to Mobil 1 full syn 15w-50, then a couple years later 10w-40 when it came out (wasn't available at first). Yes... car oil! The same stuff everybody says will make your engine blow up and your clutch slip if you use it, lol. That's half the reason I posted this up was just to shut a few people up on the whole oil and mileage debates, lol. Been using the Mobil 1 ever since then, changed like clockwork every 5000 miles. Never had a single problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalaan1 View Post

BRAV -F_ _ _ _ _ _ - O!!!!!!!!!!!!

great job, and on to 200k mi.
Thanks!! And she'll make it to 200k, I promise! Might not be too long either if I get this job I'm going to interview for on thurs. It'll be 120 mi/day commute, but lucky for me almost the entire way there and back is nothing but North Carolinas finest twisties right through the mountains, so I can't complain, hahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
Awesome work Jared!
I'm sure she'll treat ya right for thousands of miles yet.

Did you even use the old spark plugs? looked like it in the pic
Yup, used the old plugs. No point in changing them, I had just replaced them not long before all this happened, so they've still got a long ways to go before they're due. Plus I lost my job about a month ago, so by this point in the game I was on a pretty tight budget, and really couldn't be buying anything I didn't absolutely need to get it running, and new plugs definitely weren't a necessity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Amazing.... you should foreward this story along to American Honda.
Thanks!! I'm planning on writing them another letter and sending in some pics when it turns 200k, just as I did when it turned 100k. In the letter I'm gonna include the URL to my thread so they can read the whole story and pics too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
Dude, You are an inspiration to everyone out there in the world who wants to aspire to do shit but is afraid of the consequence...Holy fuck, That was an AWESOME read!!!!

I gotta make it down to NC one of these days and catch a ride with you man, Your fucking crazy...I love it.
Hahah thanks!! I guess when you're already screwed, you figure might as well try it, whether it works or not, you're not gonna be any worse off than you were to begin with, lol.

I'm hoping to make it to the rally this year, so if you're gonna make it this year I may just meet you then. I probably won't be able to stay the whole time, but should be able to stay a day or two at least and meet you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Not me, 10 minutes...auto scroll ftw! I'm glad that you are happy and I sincerely hope that you don't end up regretting it. You're a stubborn man Jared, but I can honestly appreciate someone who holds out for what he wants. Btw when you talk about the rebuild costing $1100, I imagine that you aren't figuring in the possibly hundreds of man hours you have in this bike now... I hope that you keep it on two wheels from now on buddy, we're supposed to go riding this Summer!
I hope I keep it on 2 wheels too.... crashing sucks!! hahah Didn't figure in labor hours into my cost, but hey it's stuff I enjoy doing anyways so in a sense it was actually kind of a fun project. I still would have rather NOT had to do it at all, but hey might as well make lemonade out of my lemons, right? Anytime you want to go ride, just let me know... I'll be there!

Anyways, thanks guys soooo much for all the compliments and kind words!! Really glad you enjoyed the pics and story!! Makes me feel good knowing I'm not the only one that appreciates all the hard work that went into this project. I've now logged just over 2,000 miles on her since I got her up and running again, and have not had a single problem! I changed the oil once already after the first 600 miles (it was getting a little funky from washing out all the assembly lube, which was black). Put some more Rotella in again and been keeping an eye on it, and it's staying perfectly clean, but gonna change it at 180k and go back to the Mobil 1, and get back on my normal oil change schedule. Not burning or leaking a drop of oil! Or any fluid for that matter, lol.

I rode her down to the track at Road Atlanta in Braselton, Georgia over the weekend to watch the AMA Superbike races (awesome!!), and she did great!

Black/Red '04 CBR 600 F4i - 253,500 miles and counting
Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 435,200 miles still going strong

States visited on my F4i

facebook.com/thirdgenlxi

Last edited by thirdgenlxi; 04-20-2010 at 04:46 PM..
thirdgenlxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:41 PM   #33
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenlxi View Post
I rode her down to the track at Road Atlanta in Braselton, Georgia over the weekend to watch the AMA Superbike races (awesome!!), and she did great!

Best post award
Old 04-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #34
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Best post award
I second that.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:43 AM   #35
Full Throttle
~Italian Stallion~

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF-R6

Absolutely amazing man. All of us here at TWFIX give you a grand round of applause. Im going to switch over to the Mobil1 10w40 now lol. I wish i knew half about engines and the workings of a motor as you do. The most ive done is Change oil and Brake pads. I belive this does deserve The Best post Award
Old 04-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #36
RedRider2k2
Holier Than Thou

Moto: 06 ZX10R, 18 400 Ninja, 11 KLX250s

Awesome write up man and good for you...

But the only thing I could think of through all that was...

"He isn't going to reuse the rings right?"
"He can't be reusing those rings!"
"My god I think he reused those rings..."

There also wasnt a step where you Plasti-gauged the Crank Bearings.

I just hope that doesnt come back to bite you man.

Keep her upright and keep racking up the miles
RedRider2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:59 PM   #37
thirdgenlxi

Well guys, just figured I'd post a little update on how she's doing. Not all too much to say other than.... bike is running great!!

Just went out and snapped this a few mins ago... logged exactly 15,316 miles since April 3rd when I got her running again after the wreck (177,428). In that time she's taken me all throughout North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Virginia, and Maryland without even so much as a hiccup, and still going strong as ever and ridden each and every day. She did the 120 mile/day commute thing every single day (M-F) for 2 months straight without even batting an eye (errr headlight)

Only issue I've had was a couple weeks ago, I was over in Hickory, NC on my way to Best Buy, sitting at a long stop light and noticed I hadn't heard my cooling fan come on. Look down at the temp and it's at 231... 235... 239... uh oh! Quickly pull into a parking lot and discover my cooling fan blade is broken right in the center where it attaches to the motor shaft, so the motor is spinning but not the blade... arg! I just replaced this blade about a year ago for breaking in the exact same spot. I just put my old one back on for now that I fixed with some JB Weld and it's working fine for now... gotta go order another one tomorrow. That's the only thing though... everything else motor/trans related is perfect!

That's about it... 7,256 until the big 200k mark, shouldn't be too long. I think she'll make it there just fine....

States visited on my F4i

facebook.com/thirdgenlxi
Old 07-31-2010, 12:06 AM   #38
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Jared, why don't you get one made up of a alum?

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:09 AM   #39
thirdgenlxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Jared, why don't you get one made up of a alum?
Hmmm.... I didn't even know you could have those made up, lol. That'd def be the way to go if I can find somebody to do it, otherwise I was just gonna load up the new one with JB before I even put it on, haha

States visited on my F4i

facebook.com/thirdgenlxi
Old 07-31-2010, 09:08 AM   #40
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I would think a decent metal shop could do it. Use the old one for a template. I'm sure it would be pricey but hopefully you wouldn't have the problems anymore.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote